From WikiApiary, monitoring the MediaWiki universe
What should be here?
Having all the websites listed with logos is cool but won't work when there are more sites. It strikes me that there should be some overall information on the sites in WikiApiary on the front page. Any suggestions on relevant content for the front page? Thingles (talk) 11:28, December 31, 2012 (CST)
- List of n most recent wikis added.
- List of most active wikis.
- List of wikis with most active user growth in last week.
- Summary statistics for some tags (namely Wikimedia? Others?)
- Summary information about Extensions in use.
- Expanded introduction.
- Call to action to register and add your own wikis.
- + I go with this. Still a random list of n existing wikis like it is done now will be good too. --[[kgh]] (talk) 06:29, January 1, 2013 (CST)
- When it comes to 2 and 3 Wikimedia wikis will probably have to be excluded since they will show up all the times. Since they run the "mothers" of all wikis ... --[[kgh]] (talk) 06:32, January 1, 2013 (CST)
Tables are temporary
What about ...
... setting a fixed width for this website, something link 990px. I think this would make things easier especially with regard to mobile devices. Also we could avoid enormously long lines of text. --[[kgh]] (talk) 15:44, January 9, 2013 (CST)
Main revamp / 2
Heiya Jamie, I just added as a proposol some styling to the main page that support easier identification of the several sections. I used a also proposed WikiApiary colour scheme (FFAE00 - 100%, FFD88C - 45%, FFE4B2 - 30%, FFF0D8 - 15%) based on the colour which is used within the logo. I would also suggest to do a display:none for the title of main page. Cheers --[[kgh]] (talk) 11:45, January 13, 2013 (CST)
- This blog uses some nice yellow coloured borders in WikiApiary style. I think we should change the colours from bluish to yellowish here to give it a more individual touch. --[[kgh]] (talk) 18:15, 15 January 2013 (UTC) PS Did I tell you that yellow is my favourite colour. :)
- What about exchanging the smiley by a single bee as the favicon? Cheers --[[kgh]] (talk) 18:15, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
Highlight current skin
- I would love to do this, but, I don't think I can. I get the skin information from the MediaWiki API using
siteinfo. Results for WikiApiary. This just shows me the list of installed skins. You can see some further conversation on this at kgh's talk page. I can't find an enhancement request on this per kgh's comment so I'm opening one bug #47216 for this. Comment/vote on that bug would be great so we can get some more information at least for newer sites.
- 1.22wmf5 is being deployed right now and thanks to the change to collection method I'm seeing default show up. I didn't like how it's showing up (see my bugzilla comment), but I put a change in User:Bumble Bee to format this better. Note, it does look liked Skipped skins are now being omitted entirely, which I'm happy with. I also modified Template:Skin in use to set Property:Is default skin. 🐝 thingles (talk) 17:25, 28 May 2013 (UTC)
New layout with additions on the right
The new layout breaks visibility on narrow screens and probably mobile devices. Perhaps moving the additions to the wiki to the top section would be nice. Probably we could drop the display of newly added farms and just stick to wikis and extensions -> two columns of new wikis using the offset option of parser function ask in the second one and one column of new extensions. --[[kgh]] (talk) 08:03, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks. I undid that change for now. I like the concept but it would need to be made more flexible for different screens. 🐝 thingles (talk) 11:41, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
I hope that it's ok to do something like this (I actually did). It makes more sense to me to store the picture locally and to link to your page that provides information about the wiki
$wgFooterIcons['monitoredby']['wikiapiary'] = array( "src" => "$wgScriptPath/tecfa/Monitored_by_WikiApiary.png", "url" => "http://wikiapiary.com/wiki/EduTech_Wiki", "alt" => "Monitored by WikiApiary" );
- For sure, and I agree it makes more since to store it locally. Just keeping it easier for folks that don't want to do that. Thanks for adding this to your wiki! 🐝 thingles (talk) 19:46, 7 June 2013 (UTC)
Farms on main page
- I am not sure since we will probably be getting the usual farms. However, since main page is about wiki activity ... --[[kgh]] (talk) 19:17, 6 October 2014 (UTC)
What is an edit index?
- In general cross-posting is not necessary. See here for an answer. Cheers --[[kgh]] (talk) 20:47, 24 February 2015 (UTC)
- Thank you! Maybe a link from the expressions on the main page to their definitions would be helpful? Also for Pages and user change. "Recent additions" seem to be not only the newest ones from the last week. What is the time limit there? And how is a farm defined? ReplicationWiki-fan (talk) 14:02, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
Bumble Bee fails to connect to my site over https
Hi Bumble Bee is failing to connect to my site over https, I use cloudflare but I also have a https certificate from some where else.
2016-08-27 10:42:08 (info normal) <urlopen error [Errno 1] _ssl.c:510: error:14077438:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert internal error> link
It seems we may be running an old python version on the server, could you update it to 2.7.11 to see if that fixes things please?
- I believe the Wikisaur is happy again. Thanks to Mark --[[kgh]] (talk) 07:11, 6 September 2016 (UTC)